Burton Richardson on Knife Defense


I just watched the free online seminar by Burton and Sarah Richardson on Black Belt Magazine's Facebook channel. I've known about Burton for years and I love his approach and style. When you realize he's also a BJJ black belt, you know as a jiujitsu person you can't ignore his advice.

I joined his seminar late but the material I watched involved knife defenses. Having a few years of Krav Maga Global experience, I had trained several forms of knife defense. However, I was never really comfortable with approaches like the "360" and related motions. I felt like I was not going to have a chance against anyone in a live scenario.


After describing that running and compliance were the best ways to survive an encounter with a knife, Burton explained that getting two hands on the knife hand for knife control was the best physical self defense method. I agree with this.

Burton demonstrated two methods to accomplish this goal. The first was the Russian tie method found in some forms of wrestling.


The problem with this hold, which is very powerful in the wrestling context, is shown in the next image.


Sarah has used her free hand to grab the knife from her trapped arm, and will start stabbing again!

The following hold has a similar problem. It looks strong, but Sarah's free arm could reach around to gain control of the knife.


Because of this problem, Burton recommends using the two-arms-on-one approach, shown next.


Do you see the problem with this? Burton demonstrated that, with the space between them, Sarah can again reach with her free hand, switch the knife, and resume stabbing!

To mitigate this problem, Burton recommends getting close to put his body in the way of Sarah's free arm.


With his body in the way, Sarah can't reach around with her free hand and get control of the knife. From here, he can attempt a disarm.


A viewer asked Burton how to enter and make the initial contact. Burton said that if you have no choice but to stand and fight, you have to be brave and drive forward.


After blocking with the hands, he works to secure a grip and drive the knife hand back.


On the ground he made similar points. Here Sarah draws a knife.


Burton responds by securing two arms on one and putting his body in the way to prevent Sarah from regaining control with her free arm.


At the end of the seminar Burton answered my question about new instructionals.


He said he will be publishing a new book on BJJ for the street, which sounds like it's based on his BJJ for the Street instructional.

He also has a Knife Defense for the Street instructional. I picked up both during the Covid19 sales and look forward to watching them!

I should keep an eye on sales of his Clinch for the Street instructional too.

Thank you to Black Belt Magazine for hosting this event! Please considering donating using this link to the Red Cross. I hope Black Belt is recording these and will post them for later viewing.


If you'd like to see my three favorite videos on knife defense on YouTube, see this post from my Martial Vitality Facebook page.

Stay informed of new blog posts by following me on Twitter @martialvitality.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing But the Best for My Stuff

Quit Playing Games with My Heart

Passing My BJJ Blue Belt Test