Returning to Jiu-Jitsu

Last night I returned to Jiu-Jitsu training at One Spirit Martial Arts, the HQ for Professor Pedro Sauer's association. I had suspended my membership in August last year in order to concentrate on my KMG G1 grading.

It was very good to be welcomed back to OSMA. Several of my old training partners and instructors were there, and it was good to catch up with them.

We started the class with some functional movement drills. We started in cross-mount, then moved to mount, then moved to cross-mount on the other side. We then moved to the opposite side in a reverse motion. The goal was to be as technically correct as possible and capture all the details that make life difficult for the person on the bottom.

For techniques, we worked a standing self-defense move against a thumbs-down grip, transitioning to a standing arm bar. On the ground, we worked on the arm bar from the guard. My partner was a blue belt who helped me with the movement mechanics for transitioning from the guard to a position at the side of the opponent.

My plan is to visit OSMA for the evening fundamental classes on Mondays and Wednesdays, and join the lab classes on Friday evenings. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I will go to KMG. If I have a chance to train Saturday, I may go to KMG then as well.

I really like the new striking and sparring half-hour classes on the KMG schedule, and I will also take advantage of the higher level classes that teach the techniques I need if I want to try for G2.

Stay informed of new blog posts by following me on Twitter @martialvitality.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing But the Best for My Stuff

Quit Playing Games with My Heart

Retiring from Martial Arts, For Now at Least