It's Been a Rough Few Months!

It's been a rough few months! My last post talked about how I worked through a back injury and managed to pass my Krav Maga Global P5 test. I planned to get back on track in April, but I ran into more obstacles.

More specifically, an obstacle landed on me. While on a business trip, I dropped a table on my left foot. How does such a thing happen? Take a weird retro table with three legs on wheels, what looked like a concrete top, and a thick carpet, and try to move it away from you. You quickly learn that such a contraption isn't stable, when it lands on your foot!

I lost about 3 weeks of training time due to this accident. I returned to Krav Maga before trying Jiu-jitsu, because I could protect my feet with my wrestling shoes. My big toe still isn't healed, but it's manageable. I've been back to Jiu-Jitsu a few times, including 1 1/2 hours at Professor Sauer's spring camp last night.

I'm glad I had decided prior to the injury to not try testing for my Jiu-Jitsu blue belt during the spring camp. I didn't feel like I would be ready in time, and I felt I was in no rush.

This was a big decision for me. Since starting Krav Maga in January 2016, I've tried to stay on schedule for every testing opportunity. I thought I would try a similar approach to Jiu-Jitsu.

This May was the first time I was considered eligible to test for blue belt since starting in January 2017. However, I decided I would wait until this fall, or possibly longer. My goal is to be knowledgeable about the curriculum and confident in the techniques. I am racing no one, not even myself.

This approach has been much less stressful and I'm happy I'm taking this road. On Monday I start a new job, so martial arts will be a supporting activity rather than a primary activity in the coming months. Overall I'm pleased with where I am.

Stay informed of new blog posts by following me on Twitter @martialvitality.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing But the Best for My Stuff

Quit Playing Games with My Heart

Passing My BJJ Blue Belt Test