Making Decisions

Life is a series of choices. Like the philosophers in Rush said, "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice." Last month I decided to leave the path towards becoming a Krav Maga instructor. Instead I will focus on progress towards Practitioner 5, and then Graduate 1. At this point I am not sure what I will do after that, assuming I can continue training in Krav Maga and pass the promotion tests for both ranks in 2018. Accordingly I will not open a Krav Maga school in 2018.

Now I'm looking more closely at the path to becoming a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu instructor. I hope to test for blue belt some time in 2018, and perhaps begin the Gracie Instructor Certification program later that year. My home school, One Spirit Martial Arts lead by Professor Pedro Sauer, also offers an instructor certification within the Pedro Sauer Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Association. I do not plan to open a Jiu-Jitsu school any time in the near- to mid-term. It takes at least ten years to earn a BJJ black belt, and I would be happy teaching at Professor's school if he needs the help.

Making these decisions required a lot of reflection and weighing of costs and benefits. One of the factors which encouraged me to change was the opportunity to assist a Federal agency with their cyber security challenges. I've been consulting since leaving my day job with FireEye in March. Through a friend in Krav Maga, I've connected with an amazing company who needs my cyber security expertise. This could be the biggest project I've ever worked, which is why I'm interested!

I encourage you to scrutinize why you train martial arts, how you train, and how you are treated by the people with whom you interact. I think new years are a wonderful opportunity to evaluate where you are on your martial journey, and to make decisions that are consistent with your values and interests.

What are your plans for the new year? Stay informed of new blog posts by following me on Twitter @martialvitality.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing But the Best for My Stuff

Quit Playing Games with My Heart

Retiring from Martial Arts, For Now at Least