The Power of Yes

Kimura, courtesy of WikiHow
"Yes!"

This week I learned the power of this simple word, used at the right time and with the right emotional content.

Late last month I started training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu at One Spirit Martial Arts, headquarters for Professor Pedro Sauer. This week I signed up as a regular student. I've spent most of my time taking the Gracie Combatives classes, where a gentleman named Sebastian is usually the coach. I really enjoy these classes because there is a defined curriculum and class structure. I'll write more about that in a future post on the utility of curriculum and structure!

This week I noticed that Sebastian used a simple but effective teaching technique. I'm not sure if the Gracie Instructor Certification Program explicitly teaches it, or if Sebastian picked it up interacting with other instructors, or if he independently arrived at the same place.

The technique is this: when a student executes the proper technique, or element of a technique, or does something right, Sebastian lets out an enthusiastic "yes!" I've heard Rener Gracie use similar encouragement in some of his videos, so I wonder if this is where Sebastian picked it up?

I experienced the power of this sort of "yes" this week in BJJ class. As a beginner, most of the time I don't feel like I am getting much of anything right. Wednesday night we were working Gracie Combatives lesson 17, which includes executing the Kimura from guard.

I was having some trouble getting the technique to work with my partner, who was pretty flexible (or so it seemed to me). Sebastian advised me to posture more on my side and use my body to apply pressure, rather than my arms. It worked, and when Sebastian saw it happening he let out the trademark "yes!"

I felt pretty good about applying my first Kimura, and I remember that feeling when I was helping to teach kids Krav Maga this morning. When I helped the students make an adjustment in their striking, or footwork, or posture, I tried the "yes!" affirmation. It was simple but effective!

How do you encourage students in martial arts classes?

Stay informed of new blog posts by following me on Twitter @martialvitality.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing But the Best for My Stuff

Quit Playing Games with My Heart

Retiring from Martial Arts, For Now at Least