This Is How I Roll

This week I attended several extended training sessions offered by Trident Martial Arts. One of the sessions included Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu-styled grappling, with a focus on extracting elements for combatives situations.

It sounded like I needed a BJJ gi. The last time I wore anything like that was my sophomore year at the Air Force Academy, when I took a judo class for one of my physical education requirements.

I turned to online vendors with a very clear mission: buy a gi that was of decent quality, and was as plain and white as possible. I had read about the "plain white gi" requirement in several articles.

Basically, when visiting another school, you don't want to be an advertisement for your home school. Now, I don't train BJJ at my home school, but I still didn't want my gi to look like the inside of a MMA octagon. Therefore, I searched for plain white gis.

I bought the Your Jiu Jitsu Gear Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Uniform White with FREE BJJ White Belt pictured above, from Amazon.com. I was a little worried about buying a product sold by a company called "Your Jiu Jitsu Gear," but the reviews were strong and the plain white color was right. I am 5'9", 155 lbs, so I ordered size A2.

I immediately like the gi when I unpackaged it. It felt solid and well-constructed. It also fit me perfectly. I thought it might have interior ties like a karate gi, but I was wrong. The belt would keep it closed.

Speaking of the belt -- it initially confused me. I was not familiar with the concept of a "grading stripe." This is the black end of the belt, and its use is described in this IBJFF page. Originally I planned to just use one of my white belts from another martial arts style, but I was glad the YJJ company shipped a proper BJJ belt with the gi.

In class, the gi held up well -- much better than my right toe. You can see me in the gi in the picture above. I enjoyed the session and thought that Jordan, Jim, and Ben were great instructors. I described my experience to a friend who is a BJJ black belt as "learning to speak a new language, but at least recognizing a few words."

After class, I washed the gi in my washing machine. However, I only dried it for a few minutes on low heat. Then I hung it to air dry. I wanted to minimize any shrinkage. It seems to have weathered the washing process well.

My verdict? If you are looking for a reasonably price beginner BJJ gi for visiting other schools, I recommend the Your Jiu Jitsu Gear Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Uniform White with FREE BJJ White Belt. It met my needs and I hope you have a good experience as well!

What else can you share about what sorts of gis people wear for BJJ?

Stay informed of new blog posts by following me on Twitter @martialvitality.

If you like martial arts history, be sure to check out my Martial History Team project.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing But the Best for My Stuff

Quit Playing Games with My Heart

Passing My BJJ Blue Belt Test